Matthew 4:18-22; Matthew 14:22-33
1. Read Matthew 4:18-22. Does Jesus’ calling to these particular men to be his followers seem surprising to you? Why or why not?
2. Why is it significant that these men left their nets to follow Jesus? What might “leaving their nets” look like for a new believer today?
3. How did you respond when you heard Jesus’ calling to follow him? Did you fight against it, ignore it, or drop your net and go?
4. Read Matthew 4:19 again. What exactly is it that Jesus is calling his disciples to? Is he calling them to follow blindly, or is he giving them a purpose?
5. Read Matthew 14:22-33. What are some examples of how we let doubt overcome our faith?
Read Matthew 14:28-29. How do we know when God is calling you to do something? How does God speak to you? Have you ever asked God to allow you to do something crazy like Peter? Did you get out of the boat? What happened?