James 1:19-21; Proverbs 18:20-21; Ephesians 4:29-32
1. Read James 1:19-21. James tells us to be quick to listen and slow to speak. When we’re in conflict, most of us are quick to do something, but it’s usually not to listen. What are you usually quick to do?
2. Where or when is it hardest for you to be quick to listen and slow to speak? Why?
3. Can you remember a time when someone was quick to listen to you—your opinion or point of view? How did it change the course of your conversation?
4. Read Proverbs 18:20-21. How can words lead to death? How can words give life?
5. Read Ephesians 4:29-32. What would you consider to be “unwholesome talk”?
We all have good days and we all have bad days. Sometimes our words are helpful and sometimes they are hurtful. How can we make an effort this week to speak words that build others up?