By Dave Zietlow
We are a church that lives out its mission to Grow and Go in so many unique and powerful ways. These last two weeks I have been blessed with the opportunity to experience the Go Share piece of this mission. We are equipped and called as individuals and as a faith community to share the Good News that Jesus loves us. We do that in a multitude of ways throughout the year and perhaps most powerfully during the summer months in the community around our two campuses: Northlake and Connections.
Our role, as Christians and active participants in the Assurance community, is to be witnesses for Jesus Christ – spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ and God’s love to those who need to experience God’s transforming love. Assurance shares the good news of Jesus Christ in word and deed. “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) John Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism, spoke of this Go Share: “I look on all the world as my parish; thus far I mean, that in whatever part of it I am, I judge it meet, right, and my bounden duty, to declare unto all that are willing to hear, the glad tidings of salvation.”
We share Jesus and connect with our community at Northlake through our Vacation Bible School, where nearly four hundred children and their families experience the love of Jesus for a week. Most of those attending are not part of our Assurance Faith Community, rather people drawn by God’s grace that calls us to experience Jesus. This Go Share ministry of sharing God’s love has the tangible action of Go serve through the collection of over 4.000 food items that support two of our Go Serve ministries: Love in a Bag and Micah’s Backpack.
Take a moment to hear about some of the Go Share ministries at Assurance in this video:
These are some of the Go Share God’s love in the community I experienced in the last two weeks:
- Jammin’ with Jesus – our weekly Tuesday afternoon summer Children’s programming on the Connections community shares God’s love with children through stories of Christ and activities designed to touch the heart of the children and their families.
- God’s Garden – our summer camp program on our Northlake campus allows us to share God’s love to any families in our community in a safe and fun environment. This is an extension of one of our strong community ministries – our pre-school and after-school programs.
- Matthew’s Closet – our clothing ministry based at our Northlake Campus has opened a distribution and community engagement day once a month on the Connections campus where the need is acute. We draw so many families who are not connected with our faith community and allow us to share God’s love. This ministry greatly benefits from our community consignment sales in the spring and fall.
- SOAR – our summer reading program on the Connections campus allows us to reach children and families in our community through a critical need. This sharing of God’s love continues in the community through our other community activities like Love in a Bag.
- Mission Guatemala – This annual mission trip allows the Assurance faith community to touch people in another country who long to hear and see God’s love in action. As a year-round response a small group called Reach Out shares God’s love throughout the two campus communities as well as other parts of our local community.
- Love in a Bag – our summer community engagement and feeding ministry allows us to share God’s love in multiple neighborhoods within our community who need a word of hope and love. Both Northlake and Connections small groups support this ministry throughout the summer. During the school year Micah’s Backpack in Northlake supports a feeding ministry.
- Recreational Ministries – our Tuesday community open gym is a wonderful example of Go Sharing God’s love through sharing a resource He has given us. Our Peace on the Streets basketball ministry bring youth off the streets to compete in opportunities to learn about Jesus.
- Sharing Gardens – our community sharing gardens on both campuses allow us to connect with the community in a tangible way and share the love of Jesus. They also provide food for the community as part of our Go Serve mission.
All of God’s people are called to Grow in Spirit through weekly worship, daily prayer and small group experiences; Go serve others through our outreach ministries inside and outside our church communities; and Go Share God’s love to others that need Jesus! Contact one of our pastors or lay leaders about how you might live out this community commitment. Contact Dave Zietlow – firstname.lastname@example.org.